Year 1 Summer Term 2 Curriculum
Summer Term 2 – Oh I do like to be beside the Seaside!
Areas of learning
As historians we will
- Find out about seasides now and in the past.
As scientists we will
- Look at seasonal changes. Identify and name a variety of everyday materials.
As artists we will
- Make sculptures from a variety of mediums.
As theologians we will
- Learn about special books and stories
As Athletes we will
- Perform dances with simple movements.
As computer scientists we will
- Enter data into a graphing program to generate pictograms or block graphs.
- Plan a ‘Beach day’ event in Year One. Children apply knowledge of seasides now and in the past.
- Sun safety.
- Looking after our outdoor areas.
Spiritual & Moral
- Find out about Ramadan. Why it is celebrated and how it is celebrated by Muslims, including those in our local community.
- Moving on into Year 2. Ongoing PSHE.
- Ask grandparents and other older people in the local community about their own experiences about the seaside.
Year 1 Subject Skills
Seaside poetry and stories
- Read and explore stories and poetry about the seaside. Recount fictional stories about the seaside.
- Ask and write questions to find out about seasides in the past.
- Recount Beach Day
Seasonal Change and Holiday
- To look at seasonal changes between July and August
- To identify and name a variety of everyday materials, including wood, plastic, glass, metal, water and rock
- To describe the simple physical properties of a variety of everyday materials
- To describe and compare the structure of a variety of common animals (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals and pets) distinguish between an object and the material it is made.
Working Scientifically Skills
- To ask questions and recognise that they can be answered in different ways
- To observe closely
- To perform simple tests
- To identify and classify
- To use observations and ideas to suggest answers to questions
- To gather and record data to help in answering questions
Seaside now and then
- What we know about seasides? Find out about seaside holidays in the past. Magic Grandad DVD.
- Questionaires to ask Grandparents.
- Use and order pictures and photos .
- Mystery object: explore artefacts from the seaside: penny lick
- Place events and objects in chronological order.
- Use common words and phrases about the passing of time. Identify differences between ways of life at different times. Identify different ways in which the past is represented.
- Find out about the past from a range of sources. To ask and answer questions about the past.
We are personal trainers
- To develop basic mouse skills
- To use simple graphing software to enter data
- To use simple graphing software to create pictograms and block graphs
- To develop skills in interpreting graphs
Art / DT
- Create learn about and create sculptures using different materials
- Use a range of materials creatively
- To use drawing and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- To develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- To learn about famous sculptors and make links with their own work
PE / Games
- Participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- Linking their own culture to other cultures
- Create musical patterns and explore, choose and organise sounds and musical ideas
- Composing seaside music
- Make improvements to their own work
- Pupils to learn how musical elements can be organised in simple structures
- Learn how sounds can be made in different ways