Physical Education and Sport
Latchmere were delighted to be the first school in Kingston Upon Thames to receive the Platinum Kitemark award in July 2019. Further to this Latchmere also received a Healthy Schools Gold Award (highest award) in October 2020.
To achieve the Healthy Schools Gold Award, we were assessed against a number of criteria including: P.E and physical activity within the school day and food education.
In order to achieve the Platinum Kitemark we have to go above and beyond the following criteria yearly:
- Provide all students with a minimum of 2 hours of PE per week and extra curriculum provision.
- Engage at least 50% of students in extra-curricular clubs
- Talented pupils are given specific support to help them develop their sporting potential.
- There must be at least 9 intra-school events across different sports
- There must be at least 9 inter-school events across different sports
- Latchmere have to enter 4 ‘B’ teams in to competitive events
- Latchmere must enter 1 ‘C’ team in to competitive events
- Promote school games events once a fortnight and regularly feature match reports and competition results
- Engage at least 20% of students in leading, managing and officiating school games activities.
- Have a child-led school sport organising committee
- Utilise sports coaches to support school sport.
- Train wider school staff to support school sport.
At Latchmere we are fortunate to have a specialist PE teacher who delivers a comprehensive programme for Physical Education. This expertise enables us to become engaged in many extra-curricular activities including various sports competitions. We feel this enriches the curriculum we are able to offer our children. The children at Latchmere are also lucky to have their own pool and swimming teacher.
We use the sports premium funding to enhance the opportunities we provide children at Latchmere School. For further information please see link below: