Welcome to Reception
Hedgehogs Class – Ms Davison (Best Practice Manager)
Foxes Class – Ms Mann
Badgers Class – Ms Lavender
Owls Class – Ms Conroy
Nursery Nurses / Teaching Assistants – Ms Byrne, Ms McCarthy, Ms Pango de Harries & Ms Edwards
Welcome to Reception at Latchmere School for you and your child. The autumn term is an exciting and busy first term of the Reception year. The team are looking forward to working in partnership with you to ensure your child’s first year at school is a happy and successful one.
The term very much begins with “settling in” and “getting to know you”. We will initially focus on the question “Who am I”? Then, we will begin to widen our focus and ask the question “Who else lives around me?”- focusing on People who help us. Please find attached our planning overview for the term which also can be found on our school website – www.latchmereschool.org.
- In this term, we begin our daily teaching of phonics. You will receive more information on this as the term progresses.
- This term is also full of exciting events and festivals such as Harvest, Diwali, Guru Nanak’s birthday, Guy Fawkes, Hanukkah and Christmas.
- We will be learning about celebrations and events from different cultures and countries, which make up the Latchmere community.
- As part of this, we will be inviting parents and families to come in and share their culture with the Reception children in various ways. If you can contribute in any way, it would be very much appreciated.
- As well as this, in keeping with Reception good practice and ethos, we will also continue to take account of children’s interests and ideas and incorporate them, where possible, into our curriculum and learning.
- Your child will keep their own Learning Journey in class and, at times, you will be invited to contribute to this with your child.
- We will also ask you to share your child’s “WOW” moments with us and these will be included in their Learning Journeys. More information about this will be given later
- Each class will be inviting parents to volunteer for the two Parent Rep roles who will act as a liaison between class teams and parents.
- Please lookout for the sign-up sheet on the class noticeboard if you are interested in volunteering.
Reception Parents “Get to Know You” Morning
- There will be a “Get to know you “morning on Friday 27 September from 9.15 to 9.45 am for Reception parents in each of the Reception classes. This will be an opportunity to find out more information about the Reception curriculum and how you can support your child throughout the year.
- Please note: There will be a specific “Phonics and Literacy” morning for Reception parents in the Drama Hall on Wednesday 9th October at 9.10 -9.45 am. On that day we will provide parents with more detail and information about how we teach phonics, reading and literacy in general. We will also give you advice on how you can support your child with their literacy at home!
- A Maths workshop will be arranged for the second half of the Autumn term – further details to follow nearer the time.
- We actively encourage parents to help in the classrooms. The children really enjoy it and benefit from it. The Reception team will be seeking to create a bank of parent volunteers who would be able to come into class on a regular basis and read with children individually.
- A timetable will be put up outside each class enabling you to sign up to come in and help in class each week. You do not have to commit yourself to the same time each week; you can sign up whenever it is convenient for you.
- You must be DBS cleared to be a parent reader in the Reception classes. Please see the office staff about this. Full training will be given to any parent wishing to be part of this group.
- This will take place in school on Monday 4th November at 9.15-10.00 am. Please see your class teacher if you might be interested in this.
- In order to allow the children time to settle into their class, parent readers will be invited to support in class after half term.
- In Reception we have two snack times; mid-morning and mid-afternoon each day. In keeping with the Nursery and the wider healthy eating policy of the school, we would ask you ONLY to send a small portion of fruit or vegetables for each snack.
- We feel that this not only helps promote a positive attitude to healthy eating but also encourages good eating habits. Please do remember, however, that school fruit and vegetable snacks are available in class for all children on a daily basis.
- We send the book bag home every day. Books are changed once a week. It is important to return the book bag every day as children may often read on an ad-hoc basis.
- Children will be sent home with 1 colour coded reading book and a book to share during the week commencing 23rd September. This is also when we will be starting our teaching of phonics.
- The children will have a reading record book to record the title of the book and for you to make a comment about their reading and understanding of the book.
- More information about this will be given at the Reception Phonics and Literacy morning later in the Autumn Term. (see above)
Reception Parent Consultations
- Monday 11th November and Thursday 14th November – more information to follow later.
Reception Cake Sales
- Hedgehogs class Friday 22 November 2019
- Badgers class Friday 29 November 2019
- Owls class Friday 6 December 2019
- Foxes class Friday 13 December 2019
Reception Assemblies are on a Friday at 10.15 am in the Drama Hall
- Hedgehogs class Friday 31 January 2020
- Owls class Friday 7 February 2020
- Foxes class Friday 14 February 2020
- Badgers class Friday 28 February 2020
We hope you have found this information helpful. We aim to keep parents as involved and informed as possible. Please do not hesitate to ask your child’s teacher or other members of the Reception team if you have a question or just wish to have a chat about any of the above.