Welcome To Year 6
Best Practice Manager – Mr Cooper (6C)
Mr Lamb (6L)
Mr Maguire (6M)
Ms Board (6B)
Ms Luck (6LK)
Ms Ko, Ms Pecuch, Ms Holt
We hope you had a good summer and that your child will settle quickly and happily into Year 6. We look forward to working with you and your child throughout the year.
Year 6 offers a combination of excitement and challenge. In common with all other year groups, we aim to provide a broad, balanced curriculum preparing the children for their future education in secondary school. Additionally, we encourage children to reflect in greater depth about themselves both as learners and as members of society. Being the oldest children at Latchmere, we are looking to these pupils to set a good example to the rest of the school. Year 6 children act as monitors, giving them status coupled with responsibility.
Year 6 Curriculum
You will find a copy of your child’s class timetable below. Please bear in mind that lessons may be rearranged to suit the particular activities planned for any given week.
- Reading books and reading records should be brought to school every day, as well as the equipment (list previously provided). In the meantime, we hope that your child will maintain a regular reading habit at home and complete at least two in-depth entries per week. This has been discussed already during lessons.
- For the first half term, there will be a ‘soft’ start to homework with either English or maths set each week. After the Autumn half term, there will be one piece of English and one piece of maths every week. Children have maths homework set on Friday to be given in on the following Tuesday. There is also a piece of written English homework set on Wednesdays to be given in by Monday. The nature and content of this will vary according to the particular focus of work being undertaken. Over the year, aspects of grammar, vocabulary, comprehension and writing for different purposes and audiences will all be covered.
- The ‘Good Times’ Tables Challenge will take place every week.
Richmond Park visit
Each Year 6 class will be visiting Richmond Park one afternoon as part of their geographical studies dates are as follows:
- Tuesday 22nd Sept. – 6LK and 6M;
- Wednesday 23rd Sept. – 6C;
- Thursday 24th Sept. – 6B and 6L
Thank you to the parents who are able to support us on these visits.
Cake Sales and Assemblies
There won’t be any assemblies or cake sales this term but we hope to reinstate these in the new year.
This year we would like the children to come to school wearing suitable PE kit on the day that they have PE. This will allow more time for each lesson and is considered more appropriate at this time. The timetables for PE are as follows:
- 6M – Mondays
- 6B/6L – Wednesdays
- 6C/6LK – Thursdays
The carousel dates for your child’s PE lessons, for the first half term are as follows:
|6C and 6LK||6L and 6M||6B and 6LK||6C and 6M||6B and 6L||6C and 6LK|
Please ensure that the school sweatshirt is worn and (as it gets colder) that your child comes in black, grey or dark blue tracksuit trousers or leggings. When it is cold, we are happy for the children to also wear gloves, hats and coats in the lessons in order for them to stay warm and fully participate. Your child will still take part in the PE lessons if they forget to wear PE kit but they will not be allowed to borrow kit from the main school office as they would previously have done.
- Because of the current situation it has been decided that the school will not provide oaties for morning break times. We would be grateful if you could provide a healthy snack for your child each morning and please remember that we are a nut-free school.
We wish all of you and your children well throughout this final year at Latchmere.