Welcome to Reception
Hedgehogs Class – Ms Davison (Best Practice Manager)
Foxes Class – Ms Mann
Badgers Class – Ms Lavender
Owls Class – Ms Conroy
Nursery Nurses / Teaching Assistants – Ms Byrne, Ms McCarthy, Ms Grimsby & Ms Hunter
Welcome to Reception at Latchmere School for you and your child. We are very excited to be meeting you all over the next few weeks and we are busy getting the classrooms ready for the children to start. The autumn term is an exciting and busy first term of the Reception year. The team are really looking forward to working in partnership with you to ensure your child’s first year at school is a happy and successful one.
- The term very much begins with “settling in” and “getting to know you”. We will initially focus on the question “Who am I”? Then, we will begin to widen our focus and ask the question “Who else lives around me?”– focusing on People who help us. Our planning overview will be sent out next week.
- In this term, we begin our daily teaching of phonics. You will receive more information on this as the term progresses.
- This term is also full of exciting events and festivals such as Harvest, Diwali, Guru Nanak’s birthday, Guy Fawkes, Hanukkah and Christmas. We will be learning about celebrations and events from different cultures and countries, which make up the Latchmere community. As part of this, we will be inviting parents and families to share their culture with the Reception children in various ways. If you can contribute in any way, it would be very much appreciated.
- As well as this, in keeping with Reception good practice and ethos, we will also continue to take account of children’s interests and ideas and incorporate them, where possible, into our curriculum and learning.
Reception Reading List
- Your child will keep their own Learning Journey in class and, at times, you will be invited to contribute to this with your child. We will also ask you to share your child’s “WOW” moments with us and these will be included in their Learning Journeys. More information about this will be given later.
- Each class will be inviting parents to volunteer for the 2 to 3 Parent Rep roles who will act as liaison between class teams and parents. Please look out for the sign-up sheet on the class noticeboard if you are interested in volunteering.
Reception Parents “Get to Know You” morning and ‘Phonics and Literacy’ morning
- Usually we have a “Get to know you “morning for Reception parents in each of the Reception classes at the end of September. This is an opportunity to find out more information about the Reception curriculum and how you can support your child throughout the year. Further details on how this will be delivered will be sent out in the coming weeks.
- We also hold a specific “Phonics and Literacy” morning for Reception parents in the Drama Hall usually in mid-October. On that day we will provide parents with more detail and information about how we teach phonics, reading and literacy in general. We will also give you advice on how you can support your child with their literacy at home! Further details to follow.
- We actively encourage parents to help in the classrooms. The children really enjoy it and benefit from it. The Reception team will be seeking to create a bank of parent volunteers who would be able to come into class on a regular basis and read with children individually.
A timetable will be put up outside each class enabling you to sign up to come in and help in class each week. You do not have to commit yourself to the same time each week; you can sign up whenever it is convenient to you. PLEASE NOTE….you must be DBS cleared to be a parent reader in the Reception classes. Please see the office staff about this.
Full training will be given to any parent wishing to be part of this group. This will take place during the first week after October half term. Please see your class teacher if you might be interested in this.
- In order to allow the children time to settle into their class, parent readers will be invited to support in class after half term.
In Reception we have two snack times; mid-morning and mid-afternoon each day. In keeping with the Nursery and the wider healthy eating policy of the school, we would ask you ONLY to send a small portion of fruit or vegetables for each snack. We feel that this not only helps promote a positive attitude to healthy eating but also encourages good eating habits. Please do remember, however, that school fruit and vegetable snacks are available in class for all children on a daily basis.
We send the book bag home every day. Books are changed once a week. It is important to return the bookbag every day as children may often read on an ad-hoc basis. Children will be sent home with 2 colour coded reading books and a book to share during week commencing 21st September. This is also when we will be starting our teaching of phonics.
The children will have a reading record book to record the title of the book and for you to make a comment about their reading and understanding of the book. More information about this will be given at the Reception Phonics and Literacy morning later in the Autumn Term. (see above)
Reception Cake Sales
There will be no cake sales in the autumn term. Dates for the spring and summer terms are below:
Hedgehogs and Owls – Friday 5th February and Friday 21st May 2021
Badgers and Foxes – Friday 12th February and Friday 28th May 2021
Reception Assemblies are on a Friday at 10.15am in the Drama Hall
Hedgehogs class Friday 15 January 2021
Badgers class Friday 22 January 2021
Owls class Friday 29 January 2021
Foxes class Friday 05 February 2021
We hope you have found this information helpful. We aim to keep parents as involved and informed as possible. Please do not hesitate to ask your child’s teacher or other members of the Reception team if you have a question or just wish to have a chat about any of the above.
Best wishes and thank you for your support
The Reception Team